Thursday, August 11, 2016

Ugh... Stuck at NIH

The last few days have been kind of rough. I have not only swollen up like a balloon, but am showing signs of HUS (Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome) which has made me very nauseous and given me bad headaches. HUS is one of the documented side effects of moxe so I should have known I was going to get it at some point since I am a magnet for drug side effects!

HUS is when there is damage to the small blood vessels in the kidneys (and potentially by other organs). It causes the premature breakdown of Red Blood cells and Platelets that get clogged in the small blood vessels and can cause kidney damage, or failure.

They are all over it so am sure it will not get that bad, but I am definitely not getting discharged today. My flight home today has been cancelled, and I am at NIH until everything stabilizes which they think will be a few more days.

To say this is a drag is an understatement, but I know I need to be here until this gets resolved. My kidney function counts are not to the point yet they are ruling out me continuing in the trial, but that is something we are watching. I have talked to others online who developed HUS and had to stop as early as after the third cycle who 2+ years later still have not relapsed.

Not coming home today is a let down for the whole Withers clan.... Fingers crossed that my counts will reverse today and I can get come by Monday.

2 comments:

  1. Beth, bummer on not going home. I know how much being with your family and in your own house means to you. At least you did not go home, get sick and have to come back - there is always a bright side and you usually find it! All the best. Get well quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That stinks. As Annie said, at least you were still there and don't have to go back but it still socks. Let me know if you need anything before the girls start school. Laura S

    ReplyDelete