Saturday, May 21, 2016

Catching up on lost sleep

It is wonderful to be home. It was much harder than I expected to be so far away from Chad, Katt and Margaret. While I was gone, Chad and the girls (I think mostly Katt) built planting boxes and mounted them off our fence and filled them with fresh herbs that I like to cook with. They also planted flowers in our pots. It was a great gift to come home to that I am excited to enjoy this summer.

Since I've been home, I feel like I am giving our dog, Lilly, a run for her money on who can sleep more in a 24 hour period. I think I have been sleeping, or resting, something close to 40 of the last 48 hours. Friday I got up to have breakfast with the girls before they left for school, then I took a nap. I got up and took a shower, then I took a nap. I unpacked my suitcase, and yes, you see the trend, then I took a nap. I feel like my body collapsed when I got home and has been trying to catch up on all the lost sleep from the last couple of weeks.

Since I have been home I have also been taking medication to help reduce the swelling from all the fluids. I have been talking to my doctor at NIH and his team daily, and they upped the dosage today which is finally starting to make a difference. The swelling around my eyes is the most problematic. It is starting to go down some. It is down enough that one of the girls said they could finally look at me without being repulsed (got to love teenage honesty).

My vision is still very blurry from the swelling so it is giving me bad headaches, and I can only read, or do anything with my eyes for very limited periods of time. I am typing this in mega large font so I can read it (but expect more typos than normal!). Hopefully by the time I start to be able to be awake more than a little bit at a time my vision will have gone back to normal.

So for now sleep, hanging with Chad and the girls, and everything I can think of to get the swelling around my eyes to go down (cucumbers on them, cold compresses, tea bags, etc.), is what is going on with me.... Once I can see then I am looking forward to a little bit of "normal life" before I head back for round 2 (flight is booked for June 7).

3 comments:

  1. Dear Beth, I'm so glad you are getting a chance to rest and recover. (Food poisoning and roommates with the tv on all night are crazy additions to a rough routine!) Not being able to read or see very clearly must frustrate you to no end. You know how to do this, and as hard as it is, it will be behind you and you will be back to your vibrant self. I'll check in and see if you want some company when you are in Bethesda, I'll be there at the same time. Take care, Beth, thanks for keeping this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth, so sorry to hear about the news of the recurrence but glad that you are able to take part in the trial. Short term pains for long terms gains I hope. We are thinking of you here and wishing you all the best. You are so strong and your family is so strong. You will be back to normal sooner than you think!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth,
    I just discovered this blog spot. It brought back many happy memories of my old P&G finance days and wonderful friend Beth. I am so sorry that you are fighting this beast again! Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers!
    Maureen (McAdoo) Sorce

    ReplyDelete