Sunday, September 28, 2014

Test this Week

Chad was in Geneva for work all last week and felt like a big test for me being back at work full time and then having all the home front, children responsibilities as well. Since I get to self grade, I am going to say I did really well.  I felt almost like myself which was huge given it was a pretty busy week at work with a generous mix of both early morning calls and late night calls, the girls had lots of evening activities and we had multiple contractors coming and going.

While I was tired by Friday, I would say I was more working mom tired vs cancer tired.  I was not begging the girls to go to sleep at 7 every night (or any night). Now we did all go to sleep by about 9, except for the nights I had late work calls with people in Asia, but that is par for the course for me.

I also made the girls do a list of what they wanted for breakfast and to pack for snack/lunch for school last Sunday. I do the same thing for dinner all week so I know I have the ingredients. This way there was no waking up moaning they were too tired to tell me what they wanted for breakfast. (Don't worry we sprinkle in spontaneity so everything in our lives is not planned out!!) We were up and ready for school early every day. Poor Margaret was getting to school about 45 minutes before school started but she did not seem to mind. There is some work that can start 30 minutes before school and she was actually happy to be early.

I did have blood work done last week and those results were pretty good as well. They came down a lot as expected post steroids but they were good for me. My immune system was back to about half of normal but good enough they finally let me drop a lot of the meds. After over 4 months on antibiotics (and many other drugs) it  is nice to have my daily pill popping done to just a few "basics".

I go back in about a week for another round of blood work then assuming there is nothing shocking in my results I will get to wait a month before the next round. My bone marrow biopsy is already scheduled for Wed, Dec 10. It will take about a week to get results and then if they are okay I might be able to get my port out.

A sign of how well I am doing was a short family conversation Saturday morning. I was trying really hard to sleep in. Katherine came in and crawled in bed between us about 8am. We heard the dog let us know she had slept in late enough and needed to go out. None of us wanted to get up to let her out. Chad was talking about how tired he was, I whispered to Kath to remind Chad that I had cancer so he really should get up...and what did she do? She burst into laughter and said, "Dad, mom is trying to play the cancer card." So I am feeling good enough that when I remind my family I have cancer I get laughed at!!

No comments:

Post a Comment