Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Bread

While much of the country is going gluten free my family has discovered the wonders of Blue Oven Bread and we are "going gluten".

For those of you not from Cincinnati, or not familiar with this local bakery, it sells its goods at markets around town. The lines are always long - so long it looks like something from the Great Depression or a food ration line. For a while the lines deterred us since there are lots of good local bakeries. Then a few weeks ago Chad came home with a loaf of "Bad Boy" bread and our weekend mornings have forever been changed (or at least they've been changed for now).

So now either Chad, or I, get to Findlay market on weekends about 20 minutes before Blue Oven opens to be at the front of the line. After usually 20-30 minutes (and as many $ later) we can stop to pick up coffee for us and then head home to feast. We have been working our way through what they have to offer. We really like their English muffins, fruit croissants and raisin-pecan bread for breakfast. For lunch, the Bad Boy bread with avocado and other veggies and cheese or ham is a family favorite, as is the Country French bread with aged cheddar for fancy grilled cheese. Turns out all you really need for gourmet sandwiches is some gourmet bread. So if you like good bread and you are in our 'hood on Sundays let us know - we are usually making up fancy sandwiches on really good bread.

I've also been on steroids for 2 weeks trying to beat back my poison ivy. They are working slowly for the poison ivy, but have been great for my aching knees. Luckily I have been doing more running to balance out my bread and steroids consumption.

I'm still getting tired by the end of the week. I am batting zero so far for making it to my Thursday and Friday night plans. I just am too wiped out and have ended up with headaches that have bordered on migraines.

Fatigue and headaches aside, I have been feeling great - really better than I have in a very long time. My numbers are finally starting to sync up with how I am feeling. My lab results this week were literally the best they have been in 4 years. Normal across the board which is a first for my white blood cells and neutrophils since I was diagnosed 2 years ago. While this seems like great news, I haven't entirely ruled out the possibility that they mixed up my results in the lab...  I'll really believe it and celebrate in 2 weeks if my counts are still good once I'm off steroids (and double sure it is my blood and it did not get switched!!). Obviously great news though and we are really excited :).  

2 comments:

  1. Not surprised Chad gravitated toward Bad Boy anything, and congrats on the counts! Have a great weekend. Hopefully your weather is better than ours (though there is snow in Breckenridge already!) Irene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, I agree with you that if you want a gourmet sandwich, you just need gourmet bread. The bread makes all the difference. The sandwiches you make for lunch also sound very healthy and delicious.

    Keeping up your personal health is very important, especially for cancer fighters. Here is a blog post about 4 foods cancer fighters should try for a healthy lifestyle: http://www.perseuspci.com/four-foods-cancer-patients-try-healthier-lifestyle/

    ReplyDelete