Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Dodged a bullet...well, almost

Last Monday after my doctor's appointment, our sitter took Margaret to voice lessons but since Katherine was sick she was hanging at home with me. She said her throat hurt and one look it and knew it was strep. It was nasty. I was able to get her into the doctor that day and sure enough the strep test came back positive and she started on antibiotics.

We thought we had done well "containing" the strep when we made it to Saturday and no one else had gotten sick. Then Sunday afternoon, while Margaret was snuggled up on the sofa with her cousin who had flown in town Friday from Boston for 2 weeks at Camp Kern starting Sunday evening, she announced her throat hurt and she did not feel good. Sure enough she had a fever....her throat did not look bad, just a little red but called first thing Monday to take her in as well.

My doctor's appointment yesterday went well. Nothing is normal yet, but everything is same (hemoglobin, platelets) or better (WBC, neutrophils). They were all saying at my doctor's office I definitely "dodged a bullet" by not getting strep. Since after my appointment I was picking up Marg to take her for a strep test they gave me a prescription just in case I got it. Unfortunately the old, "if your prepared it won't happen" did not work this time.

Margaret was positive for strep and by the time I went to bed last night I had a low grade fever and very sore throat. So started on the antibiotics and so far my temp has stayed below the "proceed directly to the hospital threshold". Now Margaret and I are quarantined. Our sitter and Katherine are trying to stay out of the house. Chad is going to get a strep test today at lunch to just make sure he does not have it too.

Katherine is definitely patient zero - who acquired it with about a quarter of the swim team. We are just hoping no one else gets sick from us (especially the girls cousin from Boston at sleep away camp in Cincinnati!!) and we are all on the mend soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment