Sunday, June 15, 2014

Denial

Katherine came home from swim team on Thursday with a couple mom's phone numbers and a plan for a sleepover that night with some swim team friends. Thursdays are swim meet nights so they were going to be together at the pool until 10-11pm and then back the next morning for practice at 9am so saying no it was not a good night was easy. I shared this story with a friend, who happens to be a psychiatrist, saying the girls do not treat me like I am sick. She nodded and immediately responded, "denial". I must have had a horrified look on my face because she quickly said that can be good, that most women spend most of pregnancy in denial on how the baby will get out.

The more I've thought about it, the more I think she is absolutely right. On a lot of levels, we are all in a little bit of denial in our household. Reality is no fun to think about. Today has centered around Father's Day and dad activities but I quietly snuck off to pack. Kath and I ran some errands and while we were out she asked about if we would wake them up before left tomorrow morning. We all know it is coming but are all trying to block it out.

I am as ready as I am going to be. The plan is just for five 24 hour bags of chemo (versus 7) last time around. Day 6 was when I spiked the fevers and it all went downhill from there. Fingers crossed I will be in and out much faster than last time around....

Hope everyone has had a Happy Father's Day!

1 comment:

  1. Hoping that the treatment plan works in the shortest amount of time possible and that you are home with your family soon.

    ReplyDelete