Monday, January 7, 2013

Snow Sledding, Skiing, and Shoveling

We just missed having a white Christmas by a day. As Margaret said though, it has been a white Kwanzaa.  This is the first snow the girls remember seeing coming down. We went to Harbin, China, a few years ago to see the famed ice sculptures and we got in some ice sledding, a trip to the ice bar for hot chocolates, and a few (yes, a few) trips to the Tiger Park. There was lots of ice but no snow coming down.

They have been so excited to wake up and see what it looks like each morning. The girls have been catching snowflakes on their tongues. They have been doing experiments to see if dirty or clean snow melt faster. They have tried sledding in the front yard, the back yard, and at the park up the street, Mt. Storm. We drove up to Mt. Storm the other day and there was a “Road Closed” sign halfway across the road. We decided to forge on and were glad to see the parking lot was packed. Our neighborhood clearly decided it needed to be open because the sledding hills there totally rock (yes, I stole the girls sleds and did a few runs and proved the more you weigh the faster you go).
We went to meet up with my sister, Robin’s family, and parents at Wisp Resort. The cousins are great skiers and sold Katherine and Margaret on trying it. Chad skied for the first time in 10 years. I sat this round out and just got the girls situated in ski school. I am working to get strong enough to ski when we head to see Chad’s dad, and very nice stepmother, in Breckenridge.
I spent a fair amount of time in the lodge listening and watching to the others at the resort. What I have seen is that the happiest adults are those "sans" children. Those with kids the ages of mine are snappish and frustrated. There kids are sullen and snappish. Really makes me feel so much better. Katherine and Margaret were excited about trying skiing. At the time of drop off at Ski School Margaret was still excited but Katherine was overwhelmed by the crowd and commotion, and was very decidedly not excited. After clinging, tears, and my direction to her that she would have to pay us back for the day if she did not try it she drug her feet in reluctantly. After 30 minutes I got the call she would not talk to anyone. I came in, we talked, and then I helped her get boots and skis and the event was reset. She was also helped by getting outside and no longer roasting to death in her gear in the ski school room.  It was a painful morning.

In contrast to ski morning, Katherine got her ears pierced last Sunday as her 10th birthday present from Chad and me. You could tell she was nervous but she knew she wanted to get them pierced. We went to Claire’s. She quickly chose her earrings, hopped up in the chair and she barely flinched when they pierced her ears. Chad and I on the other hand were choking back the tears that our baby had earrings and looks so much older (at least to us). She has totally taken care of them and been so responsible and mature. I guess the difference she has been wanting to do this and while she has been excited about skiing when we have talked about it, we are the ones that wanted her to try it (but still really hope she likes it sine the rest of us like it!).

We have had some growing pains at the Withers but aside from that are mostly feeling good. I am feeling stronger and doing a bit more each day. I have something funky going on with my right arm and is hard for me to pick up things and have shooting pains if I try to grasp things like an iron, or juicing a lemon, or anything like that. I am definitely feeling more and more like myself and less and less like someone with cancer. All and all a good Christmas present and a great way to start the new year.

19 comments:

  1. It is the best time to make some plans for the future and it is time to be happy.
    I have read this put up and if I may I want to suggest you some interesting things or advice.
    Maybe you could write subsequent articles relating to this article.
    I desire to learn more issues approximately it!

    my website: Private Cloud Computing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks on your marvelous posting! I seriously enjoyed reading it, you may be a great author.

    I will be sure to bookmark your blog and may come back at some point.
    I want to encourage continue your great writing, have a nice weekend!



    Feel free to surf to my web-site :: wholesale

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello colleagues, how is the whole thing, and what you wish for to say regarding this article, in my view its truly remarkable designed for me.



    Stop by my blog :: www.ziki.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good day,
    I am looking to print brochures in color and was asking yourself how it would certainly be for 200.

    I am a bit perplexed with the framework above, a relative
    of mine deliver it to me and I was wondering if you desire deliver
    me more specifics on content prices and all that you do.

    Sev.

    Feel free to surf to my site - xerox phaser 8560 toner

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quality articles is the key to be a focus for the visitors to pay a visit the web page, that's what this website is providing.

    Check out my web page :: myfavouritejewellery.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. good day JOJO kindly deliver me a video clip on the best ways to make pcb using laser printer and
    ferric chloride.

    Here is my web site: xerox phaser 8560

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fuh ... done it. Set up Samsung Universal motorist
    and home windows 8 considered it much better motorist, though it never functioned.
    It can be erased trough the Control board -) Programs and something.
    Afterward just comply with Aaron information. Fun ... Thanks !
    !! ).

    My web-site - xerox phaser 8560 maintenance kit

    ReplyDelete
  8. very beneficial post. particularly for ones that do not
    publish images yet just make use of the computer as a
    word processing program, which is a big number.

    Look at my web blog xerox phaser 8560dn ()

    ReplyDelete
  9. This works a treat !!, I am glad I discovered your article!
    My ML-1210 is still chugging in addition to Windows 8
    now. Thanks.

    Here is my blog - xerox phaser 8560 maintenance kit

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there, just bеcame aware оf your blog thrοugh
    Googlе, anԁ found that it іs rеally infоrmative.

    I аm going to watсh out for bгussels.
    Ι ωіll appreсiate if уou continue this in future.
    Маny peoplе will be benefited from your writing.
    Cheers!

    my web page face book sign in

    ReplyDelete
  11. I resolve the exact same complication with Samsung ML-1510I loose a number of hours battling till I find your answer.


    Check out my web page; xerox phaser 8560n []

    ReplyDelete
  12. Back in the olden days (definition: 10 years ago) printservers would certainly usually have their own set of data that would be appended to every printjob, basically
    raising the intricacy of the task. That was often
    sufficient to make a device run out of memory.
    I have no idea if it still makes much of a difference nowadays.


    Feel free to surf to my blog; xerox phaser 8560 maintenance kit

    ReplyDelete
  13. This type of sweet idea!

    Also visit my web page; Danon Jewellery

    ReplyDelete
  14. Many thanks for the remedy. This operated excellent !
    !!

    Feel free to surf to my weblog - xerox phaser 8560
    maintenance kit ()

    ReplyDelete
  15. INCREDIBLE! THANK YOU !!!

    my web blog; Xerox phaser 8560 Ink

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have the issue handled on printing the tags. Somehow, I got a top margin on page one that was non-standard (smaller sized) than the various other pages.
    This was throwing every label off. I might not discover a method
    of deleting the first page just, so I trimmed and inserted each address in to a brand-new label file.

    The result was fantastic and the top frame on all of the web pages were fine.


    My webpage - xerox phaser 8560 yellow ink

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pls for your kindness send me the video clue of making pcb so effortless.
    Many thanks.

    Feel free to visit my web page: xerox phaser 8560dn driver [carmail.co.uk]

    ReplyDelete
  18. whoah this weblog is excellent i love reading your posts.
    Keep up the good work! You understand, lots of persons are
    hunting around for this information, you could aid them greatly.



    My homepage - pilgrim jewellery necklaces

    ReplyDelete
  19. around which time i m able to obtain this motorist.

    my web-site ... Xerox Phaser 8560 Manual

    ReplyDelete