Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Feeling thankful...

With American Thanksgiving later this week, I have been thinking about all I am thankful for. I am very thankful to be home with my family. I am thankful for the beautiful weather we are having that has made it easier for me to get outside and talk short walks. I am most of all thankful for all the many people in our lives - our family, friends and co-workers.

I am also thankful for what so many people in my life are doing to help make some good come out of me getting leukemia. Thank you to those of you supporting leukemia research through donations to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, or for participating in walks or runs to raise money for research to find cures for leukemia and lymphoma.

Thank you also, again, to all of you who are blood and platelet donors. A special thank you to my department at work for organizing a special blood drive Dec 3 (thank you, Judy and Don, for leading this effort)!! Thank you also to Chad's department, and so many others, that are supporting and joining this event. It makes so proud to think that not only will the blood and platelet transfusions I have needed be replaced, but hopefully the blood bank stores will be added to by this event to help others.... and hopefully a few people see how easy it is to donate and you become regular donors.

I was very touched too that it is not just a blood drive but one that incorporates touches of my interests (i.e., areas for arts & crafts, food, talking and education on leukemia). I had only been working in this job for about 4 months when I had to abruptly leave for chemo, but clearly people were already getting to know me well before I left :).

P&G is celebrating its 175th anniversary this year. It has always prided itself on being a company whose strength comes in a large part from its people. We really feel like the last couple months have shown P&G people at their best. Chad and I could not have asked for any more support than we have gotten as we were tossed into life with cancer. Thank you all so very much for everything!!

2 comments:

  1. Beth - with things like the Village Meeting where we make you share things not commonly shared, Habitat for Humanity Happy Hour, and the lunches you took the time to have with each and every person in the department how could we know know and love you so quickly. We talk about you and your blog at work all the time....although we are still doing our work. :). We want you to get better so we can see you again soon! In the meantime - rest up, get well, and have a wonderful Thanksgiving with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth, it takes a Village and any little part we can do to lend support is the least we can do. Anyone willing to dress like a banana for her first Village Meeting deserves a pint (ale, blood, both - you choose)! I'm glad you are getting to share this holiday at home with all the blessings in your life - have a great Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete