Thursday, November 8, 2012

Art versus Science

I have always thought of medicine as a hard science. Watching my friends take organic chemistry, biology and the various other pre-med classes none looked easy, and they all seemed like there were right answers and wrong answers, very black and white. As I find myself on day 25 here in the hospital, I have really changed my viewpoint and have become more of the mind that medicine is as much art as science. There is a base plan but each individual's body is different and the combination of medicines they need is different and how their body reacts to them is different. My doctor is constantly fine tuning the medications I am being given, the doses, the timing depending on how I am doing.

Yesterday I woke up feeling miserable. The concoction of drugs they are giving me is making me very nauseous. I joked about the wheelchair ride to the ultrasound giving me motion sickness earlier in the week, but we do think there is something like that going on so today Dramamine, or a sea sickness patch are getting added to my list of drugs.

Given how crummy I was feeling yesterday, combined with the fact my counts were still pitifully low, we decided with the doctor to go ahead and do the bone marrow biopsy. They did it in my room yesterday morning and gave me good drugs so the procedure itself did not hurt nearly as much as the first time around. I was very sore and groggy the rest of the day. The first biopsy they did at the start of this journey was a "dry tap" there was literally no marrow to get out. Yesterday there was liquid coming out so we are hoping that is a good sign.

Still waiting for my daily labs to come back and the prelim pathology report on the biopsy. Both should have been back already. My nurse said she thought my labs were taking longer because when counts are really low they have to be double checked... excellent.  Sounds like my doctor will sit down with pathology this afternoon to go over the biopsy. Hopefully before end of day we will know more on what is going on.

I am sore today and not feeling great, but feeling better than yesterday. I will post later when we have any news on the biopsy. My doctor did say if it still showed leukemia he would let my counts recover, let me go home for a few weeks before we start this all over again.  Fingers crossed it at least shows no cancer (or minimal amounts)....more to come later.

1 comment:

  1. You are constantly in my thoughts and prayers. You are one of the strongest people I've ever met and I admire your courage and determination to keep moving forward with such a positive attitude. That is half the battle. Rest and take it easy. I miss seeing your smiling face but know you are where you need to be to get better! LIVESTRONG.

    ReplyDelete