Monday, November 5, 2012

Acts of Service

When I was 8 years old, my mom took my sisters and me to her parents in Tennessee for a week during summer vacation. My dad had to stay behind to work and he was also painting our house. We had not been at my grandparents long when we got the call that the heat had been very bad in Virginia and while my dad was up on the ladder painting the second floor he had gotten light headed and fallen (luckily landing on a bush that broke some of the impact), and had broken ribs and punctured a lung. We packed back up and headed home.

After we got home and had unpacked my mom went outside to clean up the carnage of my dad's fall. Awhile later my 8 year old self came outside and told my mom dinner was ready. I had set the table and had "made" chicken noodle soup and spaghettios (both from cans). My mom was a bit horrified I'd used the stove on my own for the first time, but she was touched by the gesture of what I had done.

A good friend gave me a book called The Five Love Languages to read which talks about five different ways people feel love. They are acts of service, words of affirmation, physical touch, quality time and gifts. My primary "love language" is acts of service. It is what I do to show love and makes me feel loved. Despite being trapped in the hospital for 3+ weeks I am feeling very loved from all that people around me are doing, and have offered to do, to help us. Thank you all so very much!

The plan, for now, is that I am the lucky recipient of a few more weeks at University Hospital. We checked this morning on whether they had a long term stay bonus points program, and sadly they do not. I think unfortunately all we will be receiving is long, confusing bills of all types for months to come, but medical care costs are for a post of their own.

Unless my counts make a miraculous recovery by end of this week, then next Monday they will redo the bone marrow biopsy to see what is going on in there. Then we should have a better timeline and potentially a revised game plan. They are checking my blood each day for leukemia cells and none are showing up which is good, just not much else yet either. Given the very high percent of cancer in my bone marrow (80-90%) they are saying that is what it is making it take awhile for my body to kick in and take over.

In the meantime, I am hanging in my room. I have not been able to leave my room for about a week now. It is really going to feel like of crazy when I finally do get to venture out. They want to do an abdominal ultrasound to check a few things out and that will be my big outing. Oh, how what you look forward to can change so quickly!

3 comments:

  1. Beth, my heart goes out to you. This is not only a test on your body, but your mind. Don't let the test defeat your spirit. This is the time to rely on the rest of us to carry you through. I know that's easier said than done. I can't imagine not being able to leave your room or feel the fresh air on your face - these are the things we take for granted. So, let go of that which you cannot control and keep the faith in our prayers for quick healing. Also, I wanted to let you know that we have been working on putting together a blood drive at work - in addition to the regular Hoxworth van. We are really excited about this and hope to reach out to lots of folks in the Cincinnati area - (of course, within the Company's solicitation policy). I'll let you know the details when confirmed - but this is one way the rest us can send you our love. In the meantime, I'm sending a small package to you in the hospital :) We love you! Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said Judy.....here's hoping you feel the love and prayers by all headed your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm "Acts of Service," too. Blake's not (Betcha can't guess which one he is! -- Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!) Makes for some interesting challenges in our relationship!

    ReplyDelete