Monday, October 22, 2012

Round 7: Chemo is kicking my butt

Long day again day with lots of tests, meds and drug induced sleep. I woke up very nauseous and started vomiting. That lead to one med that gave me muscle spams, and other side effects, which lead to another drug that knocked me out.

I am also looking very jaundiced and my standing blood pressures versus my sitting and laying blood pressure was not good (extremely low) which lead to more blood work, blood cultures and an abdominal ultrasound. They think I have an infection somewhere and they are trying to figure out where but have already started IV antibiotics to zap it.

Luckily Chad was able to stay with me all day and my sister, Robin, will be back up here tonight. I am feeling better than this morning just tired from the drug induced sleep I have been in most of today.

12 hours left on the chemo. Right now it looks like best case I will get to go home on Thursday it just depends on how the search for the infection goes.

On a lighter note, the same nurse who gets credit for the, "saddle up comment" was talking about the cost of medication when you leave the hospital and said that one of the anti nausea drugs was very expensive so he told some people if they wanted a much cheaper alternative to buy nickel or dime bag from friends to help with nausea instead (had to have Chad explain this to me so will not be my route of choice). Really hoping the nausea ends with the chemo! (or at least when it is out of my system).

Cancer and chemo suck.

6 comments:

  1. Cancer and chemo do suck. No one deserves it......especially you. You are in everyones thoughts and in our daily prayers. If you need anything still - we are here for you. Stay strong....you are amazing girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Beth, I was so hoping today would be much better for you. Chemo and Cancer do indeed suck, in a very big way. I'm so glad, however, that Robin is able to stay, which I know will lift your spirits! I know you are ready for this marathon to end...and we are all praying you to cross that finish line ASAP!! Hugs!!!! And when this is finished, we are going out for Chinese foot massages!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beth, I am so sorry this is happening to you. I wish I could do something to help you. When my mom had breast cancer she had a big banner on her wall that said, "Chemo is not making me sick, it is making me well!" Hang on for just a bit longer. Sending you love and hugs all the way from Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Beth, I've never met you but you know my husband, Reggie Smith. We are keeping you and your family in our prayers. I wanted you to know that your story inspired me to stop putting it off and go donate blood. They had called me several times to remind me I was eligible again, but I kept procrastinating. Read your blog over the weekend and went to donate today. Hope you get to go home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. carolynb715@aol.comOctober 22, 2012 at 6:18 PM

    Hi Beth and Chad, Carolyn (Molly's mother-in-law) here again. You are so brave and so determined to beat this cancer! I'm so sorry that you've had these 2 bad days, and I hope that tomorrow will be much better. I, too, have been inspired by your courage and today, for the first time in my life, donated blood. You're such an inspiration to all of us. I've told your "story" to many of my friends, so you're an inspiration to many people who don't really know you. I hope that you do get to go home Thursday; stay positive; "see" those cancer days dying daily in your body. Many, many prayers are with you, Chad, and the entire family. It's great that Robin is there with you. Give her and your folks a big hello from me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beth and Chad, I check your blog several times a day to see how you are doing. As a family, we pray for you at dinner and our nigthly prayers. You are also included in prayer chains and prayer jars. So many are lifting you up. So, keep your eyes on the prize. You are so close!!! We can't wait to have you back ... kicking our butts!

    Take care, Judy and family

    ReplyDelete