Thursday, October 18, 2012

Round 3: Too tired to be bored....

Believe it or not I am not bored yet in the hospital. Don't get me wrong I can think of 1000+ different places I would prefer to be, but between the low blood counts and chemo napping is my new favorite activity. I know everyone who knows me is finding this hard to believe since I am a do'er and am downright terrible at sitting still for too long. I swear I am telling the truth though about not being bored. My room continues to be a revolving door, and in between the visitors I fill the gaps wtih napping. Today on top of my normal entourage, I also had the IT tech for the hospital stopped in to make sure the computer in my room was set up to print from (new computer system launching in the hospital soon) and then some engineers came in to change water filters... very exciting day :).  I am well stocked with books, movies, etc. and have not made a dent in my supply yet, the lure of sleep has been too great.

The word from the doctors today is everything is going well so far. My blood counts are all lower but that is what they expected. They are not yet low enough for transfusions today, but there is a clear downward trend. Being a bit of a numbers person can see tomorrow will be my lucky day for more transfusions if the current trend holds, with the biggest need being for platelets. I actually hope to get more blood too. I feel a bit like a vampire saying this but getting a blood transfusion gives me a boost of energy so looking forward to my next round.

My oral meds are getting adjusted each day. Today they stopped the steriods which they had been giving me for nausea and switched me to an anti-nausea drug. I am hoping this also means the end to my miraculous gaining weight on chemo trend! The nurses all think it will be. One of the biggest drags of being here is being woken up at 5:15 in the morning to step on a scale.

The only notable side effect I have today is a headache. We are monitoring it and I may need to get a head CT scan to check it but otherwise everything is looking good.

Tomorrow is a big day. I hit the halfway point in chemo and my sister and her family arrive. I feel like it is a bit like the calvary riding into town. The girls are super excited to see their cousins and have multiple night sleepovers with them and get in some Halloween crafts, pumpkin patch and carving, and I am excited to see my sister and her family.

So not much news today. Thank you again for the continuous outpouring of support and love for us all. We are hanging in there, and I can't believe that just one week after being diagnosed I am already almost half way through chemo.


10 comments:

  1. Hi Beth - I want to let you now that I am thinking about you and praying for you each and every day. You are so strong and have such a positive outlook which is 90% of the battle - keep it up:) I truly appreciate the blog and even chuckle at times as it brings back lot's of memories for me as I took care of my Mom when she had cancer. I love it that you continue to question everything and push so hard for information - that will continue to be important for you and your family. Stay strong and know that you have a ton of support here at the office.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beth and Chad,

    As always, I am so impressed with your courage, strength and ability to find humor admist all of the uncertainty. I am thinking of you and praying for you and the girls every day. I so wish you did not have to go through this, but it sounds like you have such wonderful care and support around you from speical friends and colleagues as well as the medical staff. Your Alexandria friends send lots of love and good wishes. So glad Robin and her crew will be there for a few days. Take good care! Love,

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so good to get to hear your "voice" this way. Makes me feel like I have at least some insight into what is going on without feeling like I'm bothering you. And, Chad is funny as usual. I am trying to find time to get to Hoxworth. Will manage it on Veteran's Day (no school) if not before. For as much as this whole situation sucks, it does sound like things are going pretty well. Don't forget to call if you need help . . . or just someone to lift your spirits.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Beth! This is Robin's friend Lauren O'Neill writing from Brooklyn. I wanted to let you know that I am thinking of you and rooting for you and your family. It sounds like you are in amazing hands. I know you will be so happy to see Robin, John and the girls this weekend. I hope that you feel better with each passing day. Before you know it, this will all be behind you. Sending lots of positive thoughts and wishes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Beth, I am following your progress daily and am so impressed with your commentary on all of the events of your day. I also appreciate everything Chad writes. Both of you, you especially, are so strong and determined and with an attitude like that and the excellent care and treatment you're receiving, I know you'll get better. I keep you, Chad, the girls, Kathy, Nick, Molly, Robin, Margaret, and all your families in my prayers every day. I'm confident that the power of prayer always has a positive impact. Continue to be yourself; all of your natural qualities are the important ones. You have the love and support of so many people. Carolyn Crabtree (Molly's mother-in-law)

    ReplyDelete
  6. HI Beth, Krysia here.
    We were so very sorry to hear about your illness. The blog has been great for keeping up to date on how you are doing and understanding your lukemia, and treatment more. I don't know who sent us the original info, but I am greatful we were included and can watch your progress.
    Keep strong Beth. I am sure it must be really difficult at times. If you need someone to ring at a funny time of day, call me, we are 6 hours ahead. I am sure between Europe and China we can have 24 hour telephone cover for you without a hitch. We are thinking about you and prying for you.
    Krysia, Philip and George

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Beth, just wanted to add a comment to let you know that the Zuckers are all praying for you and thinking about you. Joanna's mom had surgery on Tuesday to remove a large cancer tumor in her abdomen. The surgery went well and the prognosis is good. It is amazing what modern medicine can do when supported by strong patients with great positive attitudes. So much good can be done today that could not even have been attempted 10 or 20 years ago. I know you are going to come through this with flying colors. Stay strong. Your friend, Arnie Zucker.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What's up, this weekend is pleasant for me, for the reason that this moment i am reading this enormous educational article here at my residence.

    Here is my page :: percubaan spm 2011

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nicе ωoгκ, haρpу to have discοveгed this plaсe on blοgs list.
    Τhіs is the ѕοrt of content thаt shoulԁ bе shared onlіnе.
    It'd be awesome to see things like this on web 2.0 site list. It's а ѕhame that seаrch engіneѕ агen't giving blogger.com a higher ranking. If you'гe interеѕted,
    pleаse сοmе аnd read my web site.
    Τhank you

    Take a look at mу ωebρаge .
    .. redbook

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great sіtе from whаt Ι've read already. I'm Dylan from Ogden, Great Britаіn and I
    am so glad to have seеn thiѕ blog.
    Αctuallу, I'd love to get in touch with you. Will you make sure you drop me a e-mai?

    My website ... 28702

    ReplyDelete