Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Report from the Home Front

On the Home Front, we had a pretty successful night.  I would attribute this to my parenting skills and leadership, but really it was just that the kids were great.  As Beth shared before, they're both handing everything very well, and Katherine has been super-helpful and considerate.   I think being able to see Beth in the hospital tonight was good for everyone and reassuring to the girls as well.

Katherine had two teeth pulled today at the dentist, and did great - her last baby teeth.  Because of this and (SPOILER ALERT - HIDE THE CHILDREN) because my wallet had a limited assortment of bills, the tooth fairy left her a $20 bill accompanied by a lovely note congratulating her on finishing the tooth fairy process and about how much fun it had been to find her teeth in such a variety of countries.  I had to disguise my handwriting because Margaret got pretty suspicious on her last visit. Hopefully success, but will see tomorrow.  (The $20 will probably ensure they both feign belief in everything until it's just ridiculous...)

Otherwise all is well and I'm doing my best to live up to Beth's standards.  We agreed last night after Beth came downstairs for dinner that it would have been better if she hadn't seen the kitchen, as my "batched" dish washing system really didn't square with her sensibilities.  (Why do just a few at a time, rather than saving until there's a big pile?  Seems like a basic efficient order quantity kind of problem to me, but apparently that's not how you're supposed to do it!)  I worked hard tonight to mimic Beth, remaining in constant motion (even when there was something to read nearby), just because there were things that needed to be done.  Frankly I found it exhausting, but hopefully I'll get used to it!

Looking forward to seeing Beth in the morning at the hospital - thanks to everyone for your support and offers of help.  I promised Beth that I'd take care of myself so I'll head to bed instead of perfecting (or even editing) this...

No comments:

Post a Comment